top of page


Important documents intended for overseas transactions or use must be witnessed by a notary public. Connolly & Co offers the full range of notarial services required by foreign jurisdictions.    

Some documents, such as statutory declarations required within Australia, may be witnessed by local Australian people, such as JPs, police officers or teachers. These people are not qualified to provide international services. 

Elizabeth Connolly is a Notary Public registered in the Supreme Court of South Australia and the Commonwealth of Australia Department of Foreign Affairs. 

What Is A Notary Public? 
A notary is a specially qualified lawyer who has been admitted to the Roll of Notaries in the Supreme Court of South Australia. Notaries are senior lawyers holding an internationally recognised position of trust in all legal systems. They are uniquely experienced and qualified to deal with foreign documents and laws. 

What Do Notaries Do? 
Notaries have the exclusive and internationally recognised power to verify, authenticate, attest or certify any document required by a foreign country. The certificate provided by a notary will be recognised anywhere in the world. If the document is witnessed by anyone other than a notary the foreign country will probably not accept it. 

Why Must Documents Be Notarised? 
Most foreign countries require important commercial and personal documents to be witnessed by a notary, before they can be authenticated in that country. Typical documents requiring notarisation are:

  • Documents relating to wills or probate

  • Powers of attorney

  • Contracts of sale

  • Instruments transferring land

  • Company documents and constitutions

  • Documents relating to patents, trademarks and copyrights

  • Copies of personal documents (passports, references, diplomas, etc)

  • Certificates of law

Legalisation equirements:
Before a notarised document will be recognised most countries also require the notary's details including their signature and seal to be officially verified or legalised. We can advise on these requirements. 

Either the Commonwealth Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), situated in Currie Street Adelaide, or the consulate of the country requiring the notarised document, conducts this process. (If there is no consulate in Adelaide, the document may have to be sent interstate.) Sometimes, both DFAT and the relevant consulate are involved in the legalisation process. DFAT charges fees fixed by the government, with no concessional rates. Most consulates also do not offer concessions.     


Having regard for the time taken as well as the skill involved, our fees are calculated at the relevant Supreme Court Scale rate.

bottom of page